Kickstarter Mini Commissions
Kickstarter Mini Commissions are now closed for applications.
To find out as soon as the next round is announced, join our email list.
What are Kickstarter Mini Commissions?
Revoluton Arts’ Kickstarter Mini Commissions are small investments of up to £400 available to anyone living or working in Luton who wants help to kickstart a creative project or develop their creative practice.
As well as financial help, a Kickstarter Mini Commission offers 3 mentoring and support sessions from experienced professionals to help deliver your project/outcome.
Who can apply?
To be eligible for a Kickstart Mini Commission, you must:
- be over 18 and
- live or work in Luton.
Mini Commissions aren’t just for ‘artists’ — they are open to anyone who wants to do something creative. You could be interested in calligraphy, animation, henna art, DJ-ing, poetry, photography, acting, dancing, or crafting.
What types of projects/outcomes are eligible?
The only requirement is that:
- your project must benefit Luton’s citizens
- OR you will use the investment to develop your own creative practice.
Your project/outcome must also be deliverable in approximately 3 to 4 months.
What can I use the investment for?
You could use the investment to:
- buy equipment - eg a digital camera
- attend a workshop or training course
- go to conference
- test out an idea
- put on a new event in Luton
- collaborate with another creative
- or something else — you tell us what would make the difference!
What do I need to do as part of a Kickstarter Mini Commission?
If you are successful in securing a Kickstarter Mini Commission, as well as delivering your project/outcome we will ask you to do some other things. These are to help us tell the story of your project, evaluate its success and explore how it could be developed further.
We will ask you to:
- Write some words and provide photos/videos to help us tell the story of your commission on our website and social media, including:
- write a short description of your project
- provide a photo(s) that represents your project
- write a short blog about your commission
- Report back on any audience and participant engagement
- Present your project at our Kickstart Mini Commissions Creative Café — an evening showcase event for local creatives — in July 2020.
- Register and have a profile on The Matrix (Revoluton’s online platform for Luton creatives) when it goes live.
- Have 2 mentoring and support meetings with Revoluton Arts’ Producers’ Hub (led by 1DegreeEast) about the plan for your project at the beginning and end of your project
- Have a check-in with Revoluton Arts midway through the project to discuss how it’s going
How are successful applicants chosen?
Applications are selected by a panel comprising Revoluton Arts, 1DegreeEast Producers' Hub, and two community representatives.
How many Kickstarter Mini Commissions are available?
There are 5 creative investments available in each round and there are two rounds per year.
How do I apply for a Kickstarter Mini Commission?
It’s easy to apply — there’s no application form!
- in writing (no more than 2 sides of A4) OR
- in a video (no more than 5 minutes long)
- about you
- about your project
- how it will make a difference to Luton’s citizens — or your own creative practice.
- how much investment you’re applying for (up to £400)
- when you’ll start and finish your project
- your contact details.
To apply, email your application to email@example.com with 'Kickstarter Mini Commission' in the subject line.
Deadline for applications: Sunday 8 March 2020
- Successful applicants notified: by 16 March 2020
- Your project must be completed: by end of June 2020
- Present your project at the Kickstarter Mini Commissions Creative Café: July 2020